Philosophy of Science and Good Scientific Practice
After this course, students possess the scientific working methods and are familiar with the principles of good scientific practice.
Training in good academic practice and scientific methodology
Program / Module
M.Sc. Computational Modeling and Simulation
Module: CMS-SKL - Soft Skills
Lecture: Wednesdays, 3. DS (11:10-12:40) ONLINE / FIRST LECTURE: OCT 28, 2020
NO LECTURE ON: NOV 18, 2020 (public holiday).
Webcast link for the exercises (recurrent, same every week): https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81087412607?pwd=dWpYeEl1V3hWN1dQWHN2QWx5cWxOZz09
Meeting ID: 810 8741 2607
2 SWS lecture, self-study
Oral presentation of 15 min in teams.
See syllabus below.
Registration for the exam opens on October 28, 2020, and closes on November 24, 2020, 10pm. Registering for the exam is via SELMA and is ONLY possible AFTER registering for BOTH the module CMS-SKL AND this course within the module. De-registration from the exam is possible after registration, but until December 15, 2020, LATEST. Exams start December 16, 2020.
Grading of the presentations is according to the following criteria:
- quality of presentation / presentation style
- quality and correctness of contents
- response to questions
- bigger picture, context, own critical analysis and discussion
- Grade 1: Outstanding presentation, both in contents and quality. Significantly goes above expectations
- Grade 2: Good presentation as expected for a student at this stage.
- Grade 3: Presentation with flaws, or hard to understand, or containing wrong statements.
- Grade 4: Minimal requirements met, but presentation quality and/or contents below expectations.
- Grade 5: Failed. Presentation entirely un-understandable, or no-show.
Exam Review winter 2019/20
You have the opportunity to receive feedback on your performance and discuss it in an online exam review session
on Sept 21, 2020, at 9am.
Meeting ID: 820 8358 2747
Participants will be let in one by one in the order of arrival. There is a waiting room for you to log in to until it is your turn.
Registration to the course
For students of the Master program "Computational Modeling and Simulation: via CampusNet SELMA within the general registration period of the semester.
Lecture: Prof. Ivo F. Sbalzarini
Instruction language: ENGLISH
Please find below the lecture syllabus and the handouts:
- Lecture 1 - What is a model, simulation, etc. Laplace philosophy of science (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 2 - DFG Rules of good scientific conduct (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 3 - How to author, cite, and acknowledge (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 4 - Classes of emergence and scientific discovery (Slides PDF), Assignment of seminar topics (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 5 - How to write a text, how to give a talk (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 6 - How to search and survey the literature (Slides PDF)
- Lecture 7 - Exam presentations 1-6
- Lecture 8 - Exam presentations 7-12
- Lecture 9 - Exam presentations 13-18
- Lecture 10 - Exam presentations 19-24
- Lecture 11 - Exam presentations 25-30
- Lecture 12 - Exam presentations 31-36